I think one fundamental difference between constitutionalists and leftists, perhaps THE fundamental difference, is pure selfishness.
As proof of this I offer only one example. Think back in your own experience. How often have you heard someone utter these words in response to the mention of a politician’s name:
“That SOB didn’t do anything for me!”
Too often I hear that as a heated, hate filled response to a conservative politician’s name.
It is evidence of an attitude that reflects 1) A gross ignorance in the way our system of government was meant to work and 2) A desire to use said government to benefit the individual.
Does said politician owe you something from the coffers of public funds? Because it sure sounds as if you think you are owed more than the rest of your fellow citizens.
How can anyone feel the legalized pilferage of your fellow Americans’ hard earned property is acceptable?
They have been taught to separate the machinery of confiscation from that of redistribution and they’ve redefined charity so as to let the government decide who receives the “benefits.” Here’s a little news flash for ya, pal: Your tax dollars are purchasing votes through the bureaucracy of the Welfare system, the IRS, the EPA, the HHS and countless other alphabet agencies designed to distribute hard working Americans’ cash/property to a huge majority of those who don’t deserve it and if you are OK with that as long as you get your little piece of the pie, then you’re as guilty as they are.
It’s a sad but very telling state of affairs that some Americans’ attitudes have transformed from the immortal challenge of JFK “Ask not what your country can do for you! Ask what you can do for your country.”
to the immensely selfish
“That SOB didn’t do anything for me.”
If this is your idea of just governance, then you are part of the problem. You need to rethink your priorities and quit putting yourself ahead of our future generations.
People like you make me sick.
Perhaps one day, we can ditch the Me! Me! Me! bullshit and get back to what made America great: Hard work and Sacrifice.
- About & Comment Policy
- God and Government – pt. 2
- Reclaiming the American Spirit
- Aristocracy and Oligarchy – How We Got Here
- Free Speech Impediment (With Every Purchase!)
- A Libertarian Leaning Conservative…
- Medina vs. Perry – A Discussion on Strategy and Open Thread
- God and Government – pt. 1
- Political Projection and Demagoguery
- Woodshed Politics
- This is Your Congress on Drugs
- Apathy, Willful Ignorance and Corruption – What More Do We Need?
- “The Naked Insurance Saleswoman” or “Federal vs State Governance”
- Get Government Out of Health Care
- A Critique on Conservatives
- Thoughts On Liberty
- Your Government Wants To Eat You
- Texas Mandatory Evacuation Law – Hurricane Party Like It’s 1984
- Texas 11
- US Timeline