In perhaps the most important op-ed published in my lifetime, Thomas Sowell perfectly describes Barack Obama and the slow erosion of our rights that we in the blogoshpere have been crowing about for years.
The America that has flourished for more than two centuries is being quietly but steadily dismantled by the Obama administration, during the process of dealing with particular issues.
I don’t think that can be emphasized enough.
He goes on to say:
If laws passed by the elected representatives of the people can be simply over-ruled unilaterally by whoever is in the White House, then we are no longer a free people, choosing what laws we want to live under.
When a president can ignore the plain language of duly passed laws, and substitute his own executive orders, then we no longer have “a government of laws, and not of men” but a president ruling by decree, like the dictator in some banana republic.
I’ll not waste your time or sully his words by trying to add to them here. Professor Sowell’s article deserves to be read in it’s entirety.
Hat Tip – Mark Levin
UPDATE: Further thoughts can be found at TCN: Obama Seizes and Congress Cedes Ever More Power… while the band plays on.
- About & Comment Policy
- God and Government – pt. 2
- Reclaiming the American Spirit
- Aristocracy and Oligarchy – How We Got Here
- Free Speech Impediment (With Every Purchase!)
- A Libertarian Leaning Conservative…
- Medina vs. Perry – A Discussion on Strategy and Open Thread
- God and Government – pt. 1
- Political Projection and Demagoguery
- Woodshed Politics
- This is Your Congress on Drugs
- Apathy, Willful Ignorance and Corruption – What More Do We Need?
- “The Naked Insurance Saleswoman” or “Federal vs State Governance”
- Get Government Out of Health Care
- A Critique on Conservatives
- Thoughts On Liberty
- Your Government Wants To Eat You
- Texas Mandatory Evacuation Law – Hurricane Party Like It’s 1984
- Texas 11
- US Timeline