From The Classic Liberal, we get a reminder of what it means to be Libertarian.

Recently a member of my family labeled me an extremist for my political activism so, this quote became my instant favorite:

“I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt.” It is this spirit that must mark the man truly dedicated to the cause of liberty.

The article also posits a question: “Would you push the button?”

My answer: In a heartbeat.

How about you?

UPDATE: Richard McEnroe of Three Beers Later posts a Serious Libertarian Quiz in which he ponders the limits of property rights in a purely libertarian society.

And Wyblog’s Chris Wysocki questions the academic vs. real world applications of Rothbard’s button.

Be sure to join in the lively discussion after both of these pieces.

Comments
  • theCL August 13, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Great stuff, huh?

• robot August 14, 2011 at 10:37 am

Very much so, CL. Thanks for sharing.

• proof August 13, 2011 at 11:37 pm

A button? Maybe we could add a footswitch so we could do it hands free?

• robot August 14, 2011 at 10:36 am

A foot pedal. What a great idea!

• Joan of Argghh! August 14, 2011 at 7:12 am

Dear Bot: I left a longish, thoughtful comment here yesterday and when I hit “post”, it disappeared into the ether. Nada. Zip. No message about moderation, no error in the captcha. Gone. I know it’s the stupid captcha code causing problems, but it’s the main reason I don’t comment here more. I loves me some ‘bot, but haz nothing but hate for Captcha Bot. Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

/whiny complaint.

• robot August 14, 2011 at 10:35 am

Hi Joan. I’m sorry to hear of the comment disappearing into the ether. It’s the second or third time I’ve heard of it happening. :(

I’ll disable the captcha for comments and see if that helps. Thanks for letting me know. I hate to hear that you haven’t been commenting because of some stupid, evil ‘bot in my employ that has gone off the reservation.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had it happen on other sites as well, so, when I write a lengthy comment, I try to copy before hitting post. Please let me know if it occurs again.

Mechanical hugzz, ‘bot.

• [...] Would You Push the Button? [...]

• theCL August 14, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Robot: I replied to Chris at length on his blog. He doesn’t really disagree. He just misunderstands Rothbard’s use of the word oppression.

I mean, do any of us really disagree when I say that the New Deal and Great Society caused more poverty than it alleviated? Or that the Obama admins policies are killing jobs and putting more people on food stamps … yeah, creating poverty.

• Chris Wysocki August 14, 2011 at 9:06 pm

<sarcasm>Do I “misunderstand” his sympathy for terrorists too?</sarcasm>

• RandyG August 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I would hit the button or foot pedal in a heartbeat too bot.

• theCL August 16, 2011 at 12:36 pm

2 quick points:

1) How can a “real world application” be made of a button that doesn’t exist? This is like arguing the pluses and minuses of teleportation to planet Nibiru.

2) Sympathy for what terrorists? Rothbard was dead long before the “War on Terror” started, so he could hardly have written an opinion. Sympathy for the IRA? Rep. Peter King supports the IRA, along with many other congressional Republicans, so maybe Rothbard did too. Since Rothbard referred specifically to the year 1900 however, it is a near impossibility to make such a claim.

Please head over to Wyblog for the rest of my response.