… I jotted down as possibilities for posts one morning this week while listening to the radio. Yea, amazing how much the government throws at us, all at once. It’s quite literally impossible for one person to keep up. I didn’t get around to any of them due to a heavy workload, but that doesn’t mean the issues aren’t worthy of your attention or scrutiney.

NATION:

Isn’t it time we ceased all government funding of “art?”

Wikileaks – I call this a major distraction. I know, its big, but think of this, if they are using the latest leak as a distraction, something this huge, just what do they want to distract us from?

No one person has done more to jeopardize American lives and make the American people unsafe than President Obama. ~ Pamela Geller

Child Nutrition Billsupposedly defeated, I won’t believe it til I see the bloody stake. It lives! Adrienne has the humor.

Food Bill S510 – Are you ready for the FDA in your backyard garden? Big Brother’s itching to put his green thumb on your neck.

Gulf drilling ban extended to 7 years while foreign nations drill in same waters – further proof of Obama’s hatred for business and red states.

Abortion on military basesIs that really necessary?

DREAM ACT – I’m still for deporting all illegal immigrants and securing the border. However, here’s another sober take on the issue.

TEXAS:

New “Buzzed Driving” Bill, lowers the legal limit of alcohol to .05%. – Why not just close every beer joint, pub and bar and bring back prohibition? Which is what this bill would effectively do. These girls are definitely against it.

Houston – Cameras cameras cameras. First the Red Light Cameras and Houston City Hall’s refusal to honor the will of the people, now the city is set to install police surveillance cameras all over the city. Can you scream Big Brother loud or often enough?

More thought provoking stuff at MCT.

Comments
  • theCL December 3, 2010 at 7:39 pm

.05? WTF? Yeah, might as well just bring back prohibition and get it over with.

• Adrienne December 3, 2010 at 7:41 pm

When we have weeks like this I go into “shutdown mode.” It’s the ADD.

Thanks immensely for the linky love…it cheers me up. :-)

• allen December 3, 2010 at 8:14 pm

cameras are easy to defeat. a lump of pla-doh and a cheap laser pointer. aim the laser at the camera…the overload of light will stop it from functioning until the laser dies or is removed.

if it’s general security cameras you need to defeat…IR LED’s can cause a “flare” on low-light capable cameras. some people have incorporated these LED’s into a ballcap.

it’s sad that you have to go this route to remain a “shadow”.

• Trestin Meacham December 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Some good things to watch for. I think the dream act is the worst. It is the best chance they have to complete their plan

• [...] Fascism,  and tells us who is paying for the Greek bailout.The Robot has some fine Rule 5, and some interesting notes.The Daley Gator counters blowhard Charles Blow with Rule 5. It worked!The CH 2.0 Info Center has [...]

• EM December 5, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Answers:
    Gov’t Art: Well past time.
    Wikileaks: What don’t they want to distract us from? Everything they do is horribly unpopular and against the will of thepeople – it only works if we don’t pay attention.
    Kid Nutrition: No bill is ever dead with this admin. If you don’t get what you want from congress, bypass the legislative branch with new regulations, same as always.
    Food Bill – see above remark
    Gulf Drilling: 7 years? Ha! He might as well ban it for 700 years, since he’s out in 2.
    DREAM Act – You should have stopped with your first sentence. Deport all illegals, seal the border with the US military, end the anchor baby rule, make English the official and only language for all gov’t services, cut off any federal funding of any kind for any residents of sanctuary cites.
    .05% – Don’t exaggerate. You can have a designated driver, you can call a cab, you can wait long enough after you drink, or you can drink at home. This is hardly “prohibition” – it is “inconvenience”. Studies have shown that any amount of alcohol can impair driving – your right to drink is not more important than my right to live. That having been said, .05% will undoubtedly lead to a huge number of false positives, and I would insist that the penalty for the .05% offense be proportional, not unreasonable as most drunk driving penalties have become. This is obviously just pandering for votes from the MADD crowd.
    Houston-Red light cameras are only for revenue, not for safety, and they only provide revenue for the companies that run them and the politicians that get kickbacks from then. I would assume there are some big kickbacks being paid to Houstion pols from the makers of the so called “security” cameras

• robot December 5, 2010 at 5:07 pm

EM, I have to disagree with you here.
      The proposal is .05%. and yes, it is a lesser charge under that proposal. However, given the mandatory blood letting Texas and many states have imposed for refusal to submit to a breathalyzer, my take on this is it’s just more of the same. They want to regulate your life down to the microbe. Pandering to the MADD crowd has gotten more liberty taken form us under the guise of “for your own good” for too long a,d it is nothing more than another revenue scheme, just as the red light cameras. It is my opinion that it won’t stop until they make everyone in America a criminal for one thing or another. Add that to the fact that they consider themselves above the law they are sworn to enforce. When was the last time you saw a cop charged with DUI? Good enough for thee but not for me? I’m sick and tired of the nanny state mentality.
      Your quibbling about the penalties implies that you agree with the concept. I do not. Once the law is in place, it will just be expanded more.

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

• EM December 5, 2010 at 7:03 pm

–I wouldn’t say I agree with it, as much as I would say it doesn’t bother me nearly as much as a lot of other things the nanny state is sticking its nose into. This is a legitimate government function (stopping drunk drivers) being taken to an exaggerated extreme, probably for the reasons you mentioned. Many other regulations are being applied to things the gov’t has no business in whatsoever.
        –I assume that means you agree with all my other points.
        –Regarding the Franklin quote: I hate that quote. No offense to Ben, who was surely a wiser man than I in most cases, that’s just stupid. EVERY society gives up some freedom for safety. That’s what makes it a society and not an anarchy. The question is how much freedom to give up for how much safety, but if the answer is “none” then that is also how much safety you will have. The correct answer, for me at least is, “as little as possible”. The hard part is determining how much that amount is exactly.

• robot December 5, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Society is not government.

I’m sure there are plenty of studies to show that sleepy driving is as bad or worse than drunk or buzzed. What about someone on an over the counter medication? No laws on the books against that, but they are coming. By what you say, I assume you are OK with such laws. I’m not. I’m of the opinion that government is growing at an exponential rate and at the same time removing every bit of liberty we have. Why help it? We need our legislatures state and federal to commence repealing laws, not making more intrusive ones. I think that is the main point of the Franklin quote, and he’s right. Once you allow the intrusion and the encroachment to begin, it will never stop. And it hasn’t.

And yes, I agree with the rest of your original comments with one caution and an addition.
          Don’t count on Obama being out in 2 years. I put nothing past these guys.

Red light cameras and others are Big Brother. They serve the same purpose as the TSA pat downs and the .05% law. To scare you into submission and condition you to be cattle. Franklin wins again.

• theCL December 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I’ve read detailed reports that show mothers with toddlers in the backseat are more dangerous than a driver with a .08 BAC, let alone .05. What is .05? One beer? Without looking, I can tell you any “evidence” showing .05 BAC kills people is as corrupt as the IPCC’s global warming reports. How does one even detect a .05 BAC driver? Reckless driving? That’s already a crime. Why add an additional make-believe crime on top of that?

This is nothing more than neo-prohibition and the regulation of even our personal blood stream. There is nothing to gain here, but everything to lose. Almost all alcohol-related fatalities occur at something like .17 BAC and above. Lowering the BAC will do nothing to stop actual dangerous drivers (no laws do). It will simply criminalize tens of millions more Americans.