George Will, in Jerusalem for the Washington Post, quotes Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu:

Today’s Middle East, he says, reflects two developments. One is the rise of Iran and militant Islam since the 1979 revolution, which led to al-Qaeda, Hamas and Hezbollah. The other development is the multiplying threat of missile warfare.

Now Israel faces a third threat, the campaign to delegitimize it in order to extinguish its capacity for self-defense. After two uniquely perilous millennia for Jews, the creation of Israel meant, Netanyahu says, “the capacity for self-defense restored to the Jewish people.” But note, he says, the reflexive worldwide chorus of condemnation when Israel responded with force to rocket barrages from Gaza and from southern Lebanon. There is, he believes, a crystallizing consensus that “Israel is not allowed to exercise self-defense.”

And yesterday, former US Envoy to the UN, John Bolton said Israel has just a few days to act before Iran begins inserting fuel rods into it’s newly built nuke-you-lar reactor.

Israel has only mere days to launch an attack on Iran’s Bushehr nuclear reactor if Russia makes good on its plan to deliver fuel there this weekend, former US ambassador to the UN John Bolton warned Tuesday.

He said that once Russia has loaded the fuel into the reactor — slated for Saturday – Israel would no longer be willing to strike for fear of triggering widespread radiation in an attack.

Iran in effect is hiding behind human shields while it continues to arm itself with nuclear capabilities:

Iran, for its part, dismissed talk of a possible Israel strike.

On Tuesday, Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast was quoted as saying that “these threats of attacks had become repetitive and lost their meaning.” He also reportedly told correspondents in Tehran, “According to international law, installations which have real fuel cannot be attacked because of the humanitarian consequences.”

The rhetoric comes as the US increased sanctions on Iran as part of its ongoing efforts to ratchet up pressure on Tehran.

On Tuesday the US Treasury announced dozens of additional names of Iranian banks and individuals that fall under sanctions law.

So, while the Iranians continue to ratchet up their ability to attack our Israeli allies, our President and State department continue to run a racket of sanctions and weak diplomacy designed to look the other way while Israel is forced to defend itself alone.

Question:

Should we strike Iranian nuclear facilities before they load fuel into their reactor or complete their ability to enrich weapons grade plutonium?

Should Israel?

I believe we should and if we don’t strike first, we should at the very least provide backing forces to Israel when they do so. A nuclear Iran would be more emboldened to act out against our Israeli allies, just as any of the lesser factions surrounding them because of Iran’s implied nuclear umbrella of protection. We cannot allow this scenario to develop.

Will President Obama see the issue this way?

I’d doubt he has a pair. In fact, his previous actions suggest that he’ll use an Israeli strike as a reason to sanction or condemn Israel.

That would be a tragedy of unthinkable proportions.

Comments
  • The World is on Fire at Bride of Rove August 18, 2010 at 1:38 pm

[...] Mind Numbed Robot asks: Should Israel Bomb Iran? [...]

• Red August 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm

A preemptive strike? I don’t know. I would rather see a team go in and get all MI5 on Iran’s burgeoning nuclear facility.

• mnrobot August 18, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Hi Red. I would like to see that too, but it looks like that window of opportunity might have passed. A nuclear Iran should not be an option, however it gets done. Bush and Obama both failed to act on this threat in any meaningful way and now here we are. I’m not sure they have left any other option but for Israel to do the dirty work. We both know Obammy isn’t going to.

• Reaganite Republican August 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Since the Israelis are the target of an Iranian extermination plan, they cannot afford the luxury of a Pollyana, cafe-debate world view like Obama thinks is so modern.

But Israel can go-it-alone if she has to… the IDF probably has the military capacity already to not only bomb Iran, but win the wider Middle East war that is likely to result.

Unlike vs. Hezbollah in 2006, the Israelis would fight this one to win, and win BIG… vs. Iran, Syria, Hezbollah, and the rump Hamas.

The IAF did us all a huge favor in 1983, taking out Saddam’s reactor in the face of world condemnation, and they’ll they’ll take care of business again- Israel is used to such misguided moralizing from the outside.

A humiliating attack upon Tehran’s crown-jewel nuclear program will likely topple this heinous regime… in other words, tiny Israel will be doing the job that our wormy president doesn’t have the courage or moral clarity to do.

And Bibi will kick their a*s so hard they’ll be wearing it for a hat-

• proof August 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I’d support them in a preemptive strike. Whether or not our C-in-C would may be a different story.

• theCL August 18, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Don’t hate me ’cause I’m beautiful, but … I think America should stay the blank out!

First of all, I’ve read more than enough conflicting evidence to have WMD deja vu. Quite frankly, I simply don’t buy it. Second, there is no money. As our government stands now, it’s running on hot air (lucky there’s a lot of the in Washington), literally facing insolvency. China, Russia, et. al. are moving out of the dollar as fast as they can. We are facing an economic nightmare. We can’t afford to be off fighting wars period, let alone wars not righteously defensive.

Iran is an old society, with a lot of people, good weapons, and the ability to shut off a large percentage of the oil supply too. The risks are extreme. Sure, it’s Israel that will attack, but let’s not kid ourselves about what they really means – US involvement.

Israel is their own country, they can do whatever they want. But what I believe, and as history teaches, this sudden Iran crisis is a distraction for the masses, and enemy for which to focus blame, as the dollar collapses and our country goes down the economic black hole.

• mnrobot August 18, 2010 at 11:08 pm

“I think America should stay the blank out!”
      You lost me right there.
      Don’t bother trying to explain.
      You’re wrong.

• mnrobot August 19, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Hey CL, sorry for the too quick reply last nite. I do’t think clearly when I’ve had a couple of beers so I blew you off and shouldn’t have.
      Having said that…
      You may be quick to let Israel go it alone on this one but I’m not.
      You say:
      “Second, there is no money. As our government stands now, it’s running on hot air (lucky there’s a lot of the in Washington), literally facing insolvency. China, Russia, et. al. are moving out of the dollar as fast as they can. We are facing an economic nightmare. We can’t afford to be off fighting wars period, let alone wars not righteously defensive.”

If your neighbor’s house is being broken into or his family being threatened by a gang, would you check your finances to see if it was economically feasible to defend them? If a house is on fire you go put it out. You don’t stop to see if you’ve got money for the water bill.

Obama’s not going to do anything to Iran. He’s going to let Israel do it and I’d doubt he’ll back them. As I said in the post, he’ll probably use it as an opportunity to chastise them or worse.

All I’m saying is, Iran has been allowed to get too far in their nuke-you-lar development. Bush shares blame in this as well. Be that as it may, here were are. I’m just wondering aloud what we are about to see transpire.

• orbitup August 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I don’t really know anything about Iran’s military strength, but I know they had an F-4 crash a week or 2 ago. If that’s what they are using Israel should have air superiority in about 4 hours.

• Gorges Smythe August 18, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Hey, let Uncle Sam sit on his hands, I’ll donate!

• Obi's Sister August 18, 2010 at 9:26 pm

• Randy_G August 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm

The world changes forever with a nuke powered Iran.It needs to be taken out quickly…..

• Matt August 19, 2010 at 12:24 am

I don’t hold out a lot of hope here. I can’t say that we should intervene. The consequences are extreme, and we’re stretched to the limit everywhere else. However, Israel has a real interest in doing so. My fear is that if they do, Obama will hang them out to dry. They have the military might to fight off damn near anything, but how much do they have on the shelf? If they can produce all the spare parts and ammunition they need, they’ll do fine. If they don’t, can they count on Obama to allow them to buy more?

I wouldn’t.

• mnrobot August 19, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Hi Matt.
      “If they don’t, can they count on Obama to allow them to buy more?”
      I don’t think Obama has any power to stop Israel from buying anything. Couldn’t they get them from other countries even if we broke treaty and wouldn’t supply them?

On a side note, Isn’t it surreal that we’re having this conversation? Our President should be on the hotline to Netanyahu offering support and we’re speculating on his negative reaction. It’s beyond belief.
      No wonder I want another drink.

• [...] The Robot is talking about the Iranian bomb, and intervention. [...]

• RD JONSON August 19, 2010 at 7:35 pm

IRAEL SHOULD BLOW UP EVERY FACILITY IN IRAN IN ORDER TO SAVE THE REST OF MANKIND, SCREW WHAT OBAMA THINKS OR SAYS THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE BEHIND YOU 100% AND THATS WHAT MATTERS. WE WILL DEAL WITH OUR STUPID MUSLIM PRESIDENT AND ALL THE IDIOT ON CONGRESS, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE OUR SICK OF OUR LEADERS AND THEY WONT BE IN OFFICE FOR LONG SO GOOD LUCK TO THE IRAELI PEOPLE AND GOD BLESS YOU.

• Wednesday Wandom Wound-Up « Obi's Sister August 25, 2010 at 7:54 am

[...] Lake Tehran. [...]

• On Komments and New Blogs... September 26, 2010 at 12:08 pm

[...] things in an awesome fashion. It’s nice that you noticed. Although, why a toy salesman is interested in bombing Iran is somewhat diskonserting. I hope we don’t see an influks of eksplosive toys in [...]