For Gorges.

I recently started, and abruptly stopped, a reading of American Sphinx, The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis. It wasn’t long into the book that something struck me as odd for a historian to put in an account of Jefferson’s life. The thought that struck me was on page thirteen of the paperback. While summarily dismissing the book Revolution Song, which I’ve never read, he boldly espouses the idea that

“communism since 1989 was an ideological lost cause, loitering on the world stage only as an object lesson in political and economic catastrophe.”

This statement is what troubled me. How could a Pulitzer Prize winning historian, a winner of the National Book Award, for the very book I held in my hand, miss this point so utterly? Communism is dead? What? Did Reagan so thoroughly defeat the USSR as to eradicate the communist ideology from the planet altogether? Even a lowly naïve Robot knows better than that!

Obviously, I had to know more about who’s words I was reading. Who was this man who held the brush and painted this portrait of one of the most beloved founders in our history? I was astounded and taken aback to learn that Mr. Ellis, as a Professor of History, has been reprimanded for lying about his service during the Vietnam war. He has since regained his chair but for me, the stain remains. His words and depictions of Jefferson and the founding fathers may very well be true, but I simply cannot take the word of an army officer who would lie about having been in combat in Vietnam when, in fact he was not. Granted, this particular biography is at Wikipidia, but the information appears to be valid.

As a secondary exhibit, also referenced at *yecchk* Wikipidia, an article praising the political rhetoric of then candidate Barack Hussein Obama as a man of the people., a great joiner, not a divider. I almost barfed on my keyboard to read the article published in the LA Times penned by Mr. Ellis. Grossly ignoring the ties to any and all of his communist and radical friends like Bill Ayres and Reverend Wright and so forth.

If only Mr. Ellis would have opened his eyes a little wider, maybe he could have seen through the lies and clearly communist ideological thought that Obama holds dear.

The next question that occurred to me was, if Mr. Ellis actually thinks of communism as “an object lesson in political and economic catastrophe.”, then how in the world could he possibly support Obama, who even at that time, to anyone with half a brain, could see as socialist or communist leaning. Was Mr. Ellis engaging in a bit of sleight of hand? Don’t worry about the communist, they are not the problem, how can they be, they don’t exist anymore!

Poppycock! (Always wanted to use that word.)

I am lead to conclude that, unfortunately, Mr. Ellis is possibly nothing more than an agent of subterfuge, an eloquent author yes, but one who uses his power of the pen to muddy the waters of our history with subtle doubt as to the real Character of Thomas Jefferson and the other founding fathers. I won’t be having any of that, thank you very much, no.

Revisionist history is not history at all.

Comments
  • Gorges Smythe May 6, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Sadly, nearly ALL history is revisionist history. Some is just more blatant than others.

Incidentally, I owe you an apology. When I made my rather crass remark the other day, I hadn’t quite figured out your site yet. there’s more to it than first meets the eye.

• mnrobot May 7, 2010 at 7:00 am

None necessary Gorges. You just got me off my arse. I had that one floating around in my head. Needed a push to bring it to light.

If you censor yourself, then your doing their job for them. ~ Robot

Cheers!

• Matt May 6, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Very impressive, Robot. I think that too many smart folks have been deceived into thinking that Communism went away. They may have subtly repacked it for the west, but it’s the same old garbage that it always was.

• mnrobot May 7, 2010 at 7:04 am

Thanks Matt, but I think this one knows of whom he speaks and will not say it. Who better to disguise the instigator of treason that the historian? Who better to destroy the Constitution but a student of it?

• Red May 7, 2010 at 10:10 am

I too share your disdain for referencing Wikipedia — have to totally fact sheet and remove the bias most times.

• mnrobot May 7, 2010 at 11:26 am

Besides sometimes being a questionable source, one reason that isn’t so obvious is that, since it is editable, the info you reference to, while it may be true, may not be there at a later date when someone follows a link to it.

That being said, I would not have known about the missteps of the author in question were it not for Wiki so, am I slapping the hand that oils my gears? I would like to think not. I’m hopefully growing wiser about my sources of information which is really at the core of this original post.

• theCL May 7, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Many people believe communism is dead. 2 off the top of my head are David Horowitz and Bill O’Reilly. While it’s true that communism is “an object lesson in political and economic catastrophe,” it does indeed remain alive and well in the minds of politicians and intellects today!

This is why I often make the argument that we didn’t “win” the Cold War. After all, there are more Marxists in the White House and collectivist theory in our laws than at any time before the fall of the Berlin wall.

“Revisionist” history is often misunderstood. While it’s true some of it is subversive and calculated, there’s much that brings the truth to the surface. Hey, we all know deep down inside, the “official” story is always fabricated.

• They Say / We Say May 7, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Did you listen to David J. Smith? His lectures (sermons) are all about these topics of interest.
    Every video is a mention of world events, latter and current.
    He explains this as how it was and how it is to be- hasn’t been wrong yet. Been listening to him on the radio since 1995.

• Right-Wing Links (May 7, 2010) May 7, 2010 at 9:12 pm

[…] Revisionist Historians No one can read our Constitution without concluding that the people who wrote it wanted their government severely limited; the words no and not employed in restraint of government power occur 24 times in the first seven articles of the Constitution and 22 more times in the Bill of Rights. — Edmund A. Opitz […]